After its reestablishment, Friedrichshafen became more and more popular. In 1811 around 750 inhabitants lived in the city, but until by year 1900 the number rose to 4500. King Frederick I established a road connecting Hofen and Buchhorn – Friedrichsstraße. It was important to him that it did not become too built up around the lake.
For a long time, there had even been a building ban on the area around the promenade, so that the beautiful landscape would not be ruined. Beautiful townhouses used to line the street in the so-called new town. The street names were dedicated to the city’s founders, as well as names from the House of Württemberg in Friedrichshafen, such as Karlstraße, Paulinenstraße and Olgastraße.
King Charles continued to expand the city. He built the spa house and gardens, where massages and other relaxing services could be enjoyed. The spa house was later converted into the sophisticated Kurgarten Hotel (‘spa park’ Hotel), where Count Zeppelin enjoyed whiling away the hours. Between a yacht harbour for water enthusiasts, restaurants and relaxation pools, elegant guest houses, tourism in Friedrichshafen became a booming economic force. Friedrichshafen became known as the ‘Swabian Nice’.
Eventually, the building ban around the promenade was lifted and building began in 1912. The idea was to entice even more affluent people to the city. As the city prospered, the gap between the rich and the poor became more apparent, when seasonal teenage workers from Tyrol and Vorarlberg would arrive in the city. They were desperately in need of work and were known as “Swabian children” or “farmer children” because they tended to farmers’ cattle from spring until autumn.
Despite this, the city still seemed defined by a very well-off population. Such people gathered in Villa Sculpin. The house was exquisitely furnished and a constant social spot. Numerous events were held here as part of the thriving social life, such as poetry readings, theatrical performances and concerts. Unfortunately, an aerial mine blew up the entire house, along with 14 people, during an air raid in April 1944.
The forest surrounding the city was chopped down in order to build factories, and the city and its beautiful townhouses were completely destroyed. In many places it is very hard to imagine how it would have once looked – only the promenade still has the same beautiful view as before.
In the 19th century Friedrichshafen became known as the "Swabian Nice".
Yacht harbour, restaurants, relaxation pools, elegant guest houses – tourism in Friedrichshafen was already then a booming economic force.
Wheelchair accessible: Yes